People often ask us how long the clinic has been here at Pembroke Road?
Well . . .
Richard Pitcairn-Knowles originally decided to start work as an Osteopath in Sevenoaks in 1959. At that time there was just one osteopath in Sevenoaks with a very small practice on Tubs Hill. He wanted to move on so Richard took on his existing practice. Shortly after this, Richard moved to number 7 Pembroke Road which he shared with the podiatrists who are still located there.
In 1972 with an expanding clinic and a need for a second treatment room, he saw the opportunity to buy the current site – number 13. At this time the Bligh’s development did not exist and Richard received much negative advice saying it was a risky thing to do.
In 1998 the Osteopaths Act was passed which required all Osteopaths to apply to be members of the General Osteopathic Council (GOSC.) At that time this was a lengthy and relatively expensive process so at the age of 67 Richard decided it was the right moment to retire.
At this time Mark Pitcairn-Knowles (Richard’s son who had been working at the clinic since 1990), took over the running of the clinic. He diversified and increased the treatments available and subsequently felt that the name ‘Sevenoaks Osteopaths’ did not encompass all that the clinic had to offer. The name ‘Springbank Clinic’ came purely from the property’s existing name, Springbank House.
Bligh’s Development was finished at the end of 2000 and the clinic became more visually prominent. This has brought its own issues – like the need for a car park barrier! – but has of course also helped the clinic to thrive to the point where we are now carefully considering ways of expanding once again . . .